Cue the Whales...

 
A bald eagle fishing near our boat this morning.  He successfully shopped for breakfast, snagging a nice fish.

We saw between 25-30 whales today on our southeastward journey in Frederick Sound from Cannery Cove to Read Island, about 25 miles north of Petersburg.    The humpbacks were everywhere; and I mean everywhere.

It was really nice of someone to gather all of these whales here for our viewing pleasure today.

  We almost ran over this sleeping humpback...

We crossed in front of a Carnival cruise ship.   I'd hailed him on Ch 16, switched to 13, then we each confirmed our plans.   They were the "Stand-On" vessel (meaning they had the Right-of-Way).  He said they would take our stern and that we should hold our course.   So, we did.  They passed safely behind us.

They can sneak up on you very quickly.   They are quite fast and large.

We adhere to the "Law of More Rivets".   If they have more rivets (meaning a large ship), we stay well out of their way, I don't care if we have the Right-of-Way or not.
  Another presumably sleeping whale in Frederick Sound.

The look of work while underway.   With coffee!   All is good.
  Looking back northward in Frederick Sound along the port side of the boat.   Most of the whales were on the other (starboard) side of the boat.

Looking southeast towards the mainland.  There are hanging glaciers all over these mountains.  Many of these used to be tidewater glaciers but have since retreated up into the mountains.

The lighthouse near Five Finger Island in the middle of Frederick Sound.

Entering Read Island Bay on the mainland side of Frederick Sound.
Admiral Karen at the helm!  Is that the look of undying love or what?

I can almost see the word bubble above her head "Really???"

Yup, really.
Payback.   She's handling the anchor bridle after we were snuggly anchored behind Read Island.

I'm trying to get her to drive the boat more and learn the various systems for anchoring and running the boat.   She's already got docking down (from a deckhand perspective).  She prefers I drive in close quarters.
During a routine engine room check, I discovered this minor oil leak (really more of a drip).  Regardless, it is so noted, and I'll see if I can fix it later after we stop for the day.  I'm presuming a turn on the band-clamp should do it.
Pesto chicken over pastas (plural - gluten-free for Lizzy).   Ohh, and a 2020 Tenuta di Sesta Brunello di Montalcino.  Not bad!
After a bit of hand's-on instruction, Taylor felt OK to take Roe out for a spin.   Since it is a brand-new engine, we have to break it in.   We are limited to no more than 7 knots, and we have to vary the speed every minute for about the first 30 minutes of usage.

I needed help with this break-in period; Taylor & Lizzy rose to the challenge!
And this is what happens when you stall the engine and can't get it restarted.  They made it back to Blue Redd.  We got the engine fired up again and they were off tooling around the little bay again.

And coming in for the landing...

Any landing you can walk away from is a success.   After that it is just degrees...

Way to stick that landing!   Even the East German judge would give it a 9!


What an interestingly colored sky tonight.  Stunning.

Tomorrow morning, we are off to Petersburg, about 20 miles south where we have more surprises in store!

Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. When we were in Campbell River, we took a rib boat/guided nature tour. Our guide said the whales often congregate at waterway "intersections". Also, your sunset was stupendous. Smoke you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, the whales do appear to like the waterway intersections. Helps us to find them 🙂

      Don’t smell smoke, so I think it’s just summer time color, which was very quick this evening due to clouds, only about 5 mins.

      Delete
  2. I'd never considered the waterway intersection aspect. Hmmmm. Thank you, that rings true as I think about it.

    Insofar as the sky, I don't think it was smoke as it is quite clear and smoke-free up here (at least where we are).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sunset! The shot is worthy of becoming your iPhone Home Screen. Wow!

    But I suspect the beauty is caused by wildfire smoke particulates. Fires are everywhere right now. Interesting site that gives a pretty clear picture of the current fire situation in the northern hemisphere: https://fire.airnow.gov/
    😶‍🌫️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...