Got Roe...

 

We have a working tender again!   Yea!   Only cost nine boat-units.   Ouch!   A lesson I hope to never repeat, though no one knows how the water actually got into the fuel system, and that makes me nervous!   I have to presume it was me, not fully closing the fuel fill door, but...

Roe is back home next to Blue Redd. We will put her aboard in the morning when we depart for Hoonah.

I had a miscommunication with Broken Rudder, the Tohatsu dealer and fixer of Roe.  I thought they were going to call me when it was ready; they thought I was coming by.   So, while Roe was done last night, we didn't connect to get Roe until late today.  Darn, we could have been on our way already!!!
Today, with the help of Brent, we troubleshot our shorepower problems.  Let me back up.

As you may recall from a prior post, I was only getting 1 leg of 240V power.   The marina came out and replaced their receptacle.   Great, I plugged in our aft shorepower cable and still only got 1 leg.   So, today, we turned the boat around and a connected to our bow shorepower receptacle on the boat.  That worked fine.

That led me the think the problem was also on my boat.  I called Brent and he helped me diagnose the issue.  It is my aft shorepower cable.

In the photo, you can see the slight browning around the lug next to where it says 250V.   That is not a good sign.
So, I opened-up the connector and sure as something, the cable had rotted out.  In fact, the green cable is so rotted it is almost not making any contact any longer.  The black cable has melted and glued itself to the white cable.

I cut back the cable in 1' increments testing at each step and ended up cutting back about 7' and still the copper cables have been blackened by corrosion.   It is time for a whole new cable.   I am unlikely to find a 100' 4 conductor #6 shorepower cable up here.  I will try to patch this to make it work until we can replace it this winter.
Pho goodness with chili-fried dumplings (wontons).  Pretty darn tasty.   It went quite well with the 2022 BV Tapestry, which is a Napa Valley Bordeaux style red blend.







So, we didn't depart today.   Tomorrow, we will head to Hoonah and then on to Elfin Cove the following day.  This puts us on the outside (Gulf of Alaska) route to Sitka where we will meet Taylor & Lizzy.   We will cruise with them for a bit over a week taking them to Wrangell.  We are really looking forward to that.

On a concerning note, Karen is now in the 3rd day of a not-so mild head cold.   When we were on the bus last week through the Denali wilderness, the person in the seat next to us continually coughed to the point where I thought she was going to lose a lung.   About 2 hours of that non-stop (I do actually feel sorry for her as she must have felt terrible).   And, of course, she nor we were wearing a mask.  Thank you for sharing.

I will add that Karen is a really lousy sick person.   I hope she recovers completely and quickly, and doesn't share with me.   We want to be all healthy again for Taylor and Lizzy.

Good Night, My Friends!

Comments

  1. Oh, Karen … I feel ya’! I’m not a patient patient either. Alka Seltzer extreme cold and flu relief is da’ bomb. If you can get your hands on some while you’re near that Fred Meyers, you’ll definitely feel better. -CM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better. We were concerned too about the lady on the bus. Safe travels. Tom C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That goes for you too! Whatever she had, she was sharing freely with us all. It was great getting to know you and your wonderful family for our shared adventure.

      Delete
  3. Hope Karen is feeling better soon. Summer colds are the worst. What is the saying? Oh yeah - sharing is caring... or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not, indeed. I get it. That lady probably spent a lot of time and effort to get to Denali and she wasn’t going to miss it. I wouldn’t either. I’ve done that. I had terrible food poisoning when we were in Pompeii - I gutted it out and left urfy bits all over Pompeii. I just wish that she had worn a mask and that we had too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...