Waiting for Roe...

 

Kung Pao Halibut in the making.   I morphed together three different recipes and some Chinese-ish ideas from Jet Tila and created this dish.   It was delicious!

How can you go wrong with ginger, garlic, shallots, onions, and scallions?   Add in orange peppers, a mix of frozen stir-fry veggies, and halibut.   I cubed and then marinaded the halibut in soy, rice wine, & white pepper for 20 minutes.  My Kung Pao sauce was pretty standard: Oyster sauce, black soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic chili paste, a chicken bouillon cube, ground Szechuan peppercorns, and Thai chili peppers (8 of them, actually).  To cook, I woked the fish in about 1" of oil at 425 degrees until I had a light crust on the fish, then put aside.  Clean the wok, new oil, put in the aromatics, add in the onions, peppers, & chilis.   Add in the still frozen veggies.  Wok at 450 degrees stirring regularly for 3 min to sear and boil off all water from the frozen veggies.  Add in the halibut and Kung Pao sauce.  Cook for another 2 minutes, throw in the sliced scallion greens & serve.

And there you have it.  We declared it a success.

This recipe would work well with chicken or beef.   The halibut is really way too delicate, but it sure tasted good.  With chicken or beef the marinade would need to change a bit.






So, not much happened today other than bad news on my dink, Roe.   Remember, I got water in the fuel tank and into the motor?   Well, it is new motor time.  Yup, I get to buy a whole new motor.  Great.   On the positive front, I should have Roe back tomorrow, so the journey can continue.

While we were waiting, we decided to head to the local Fred Meyers by the airport to provision the items we didn't get at Costco.  In this photo, we are carting our haul back to Blue Redd.

Pretty low-key and boring day.

Thanks to John & Susan, we had to get a RummyCube game.   It was delivered by Amazon to a local shipping store this afternoon.  Here we are in our inaugural use of it.

It is best as a drinking game.
Sunset tonight from the breakwater.  Lovely.

Oh, and I heard from Darrin at Broken Rudder (the folks fixing Roe) that I should have my dink back in the morning.   Yea!



Good Night, All.





Comments

  1. Excellent job on the dinner dish. 😋 But now I want Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can never go wrong with Halibut and a drinking game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...