YAGBC...
Yet Another Gorgeous Boardwalk Community (YAGBC)!
We are in Pelican, AK by the pelican totem. This reminds me of a little rhyme my grandfather used to say when watching the pelicans fly in formation over Grand Lake, OK.; "The problem for a pelican is that it's beak holds more than it's belly can". Groan (tell me about it!)... I had to hear that about two times a day all summer long! I sure miss my Papa (grandfather).A few days ago, I noticed that my water heater tank was leaking. This is a photo of the culprit. Right now, it is a steady 1 drip per minute. I can live with that, but if it gets worse, I have a real problem. That would be no hot water.
As we were leaving we were followed out by a float plane.
The middle hill of Three Hill Island.
Looking up to the head of Port Althorp, a bay we had to cross to get out into Cross Sound enroute to Pelican.
And, we made it!At the head of the dock, a pelican totem; with a fish, of course!
City Hall.
Can you guess what they do around here? I'll reveal later, if you haven't already figured it out.
The General Store
They are reasonably well stocked with necessities, a few fishing supplies, and the usual gift store items.
One of the fish processing plants out on the pier.
Almost time, but not yet! The season is very late this year and everyone is complaining about the cold/wet summer.
In case anyone needs a new boat. Minor fixer-upper. Mark???
At the south end of town, towards the head of Lisianski Inlet are the tidelands.
Kudos to Karen again for spotting this sleeping Great Blue Heron up in the tree next to the boardwalk.
A sign down by the tide flats area.
Now you know what they do around here. A wheelbarrow full of today's sports fisherperson's catch. Salmon!
So, I've got a plan. I generate hot water from 3 sources: electric & engine heat exchanger (both in the tank) and I have a Kabola hydronic system with a heat exchanger too. All are plumbed into this tank.
So, my plan is to bypass the tank and plum the out from the Kabola heat exchanger (white pipe at the base) into the domestic hot water pipe (that's the orange one). In theory, I should be able to just cut those two 1/2" pipes and join them together with either a SharkBite coupling or a double barb coupling. That's the theory. I hope I never have to test it, because I suck at pluming.
Chime in if you have a better idea!
We departed about 0900 (9:00am) this morning from Elfin Cove to get to another boardwalk community called Pelican. The seas look flat!As we were leaving we were followed out by a float plane.
If you are going to live in Alaska, I think it is a requirement that you are a float plane pilot.
A better view of the Brady Glacier coming down from the Fairweather Range.
A better view of the Brady Glacier coming down from the Fairweather Range.
The middle hill of Three Hill Island.
Looking up to the head of Port Althorp, a bay we had to cross to get out into Cross Sound enroute to Pelican.
From the south looking north, that is Cape Spencer.
And that is what we can now see of the Brady Glacier. The clouds have moved in.
And that is what we can now see of the Brady Glacier. The clouds have moved in.
And, we made it!At the head of the dock, a pelican totem; with a fish, of course!
City Hall.
Can you guess what they do around here? I'll reveal later, if you haven't already figured it out.
The General Store
They are reasonably well stocked with necessities, a few fishing supplies, and the usual gift store items.
One of the fish processing plants out on the pier.
I am told that Pelican has the best/coldest ice, so the commercial fishermen stop in regularly to replenish their ice here.
The view along the wharf/boardwalk towards the head of Lisianski Inlet.
Looking back north from the boardwalk. That is Blue Redd on the left. Notice that the weather turned gray, the temperature dropped, and the winds picked-up. Brrrr.The view along the wharf/boardwalk towards the head of Lisianski Inlet.
Almost time, but not yet! The season is very late this year and everyone is complaining about the cold/wet summer.
In case anyone needs a new boat. Minor fixer-upper. Mark???
At the south end of town, towards the head of Lisianski Inlet are the tidelands.
Kudos to Karen again for spotting this sleeping Great Blue Heron up in the tree next to the boardwalk.
A sign down by the tide flats area.
Now you know what they do around here. A wheelbarrow full of today's sports fisherperson's catch. Salmon!
Sports fishing is real business, and this region does lots of it.
Started off with chips & chili con queso! Then on to birria tacos. What a great dinner.
And the 2022 Long Cellars Denner. What an approachable, smooth, well balanced wine.
Good Night, Y'All

Ha ha - I hear Papa’s pelican rhyme every time I see one too! Classic! Sadly, he and Mimi had sold the boat before I came along so I didn’t get the full Grand Lake experience.
ReplyDeleteBoo for plumbing issues. Tim says SharkBite couplings work great on pex. However, I think plumbing success mostly depends on finding the correct incantation. Most have four letters but you have to try several, often in combination and at considerable volume, before you find the right one. Good luck! Suzy
Yup, when we are in Sitka in a few days, I plan on getting a couple of SharkBite and other fittings, just in case I need to use them.
ReplyDelete