Crossing Dixon Entrance in Ideal Conditions
Last night's Perseid Meteor Shower. I didn't capture any meteors, but the stars were out in force and the Milky Way looked especially creamy!
We departed Foggy Bay, AK this morning at 0647 (6:47am) and headed to Prince Rubert, BC. Look at how calm and peaceful it is; not a breath of wind. Also, note how narrow that channel out of the little bay is. It is only 30' wide in some areas.
Looking towards the northeast as we head parallel to the coast. The coast here goes as much east/west as it does north/south.
Looking southeast across Dixon Entrance towards Prince Rupert (off to the left).
We departed Foggy Bay, AK this morning at 0647 (6:47am) and headed to Prince Rubert, BC. Look at how calm and peaceful it is; not a breath of wind. Also, note how narrow that channel out of the little bay is. It is only 30' wide in some areas.
Looking towards the northeast as we head parallel to the coast. The coast here goes as much east/west as it does north/south.
Looking southeast across Dixon Entrance towards Prince Rupert (off to the left).
I did some work today, finishing a proposal to a client's client and advising/coaching another startup venture client.
With Starlink, I can hold Zoom and Teams conference video calls without concern. Wonderful technology and service.
I'm not a huge Elon fan, but I can't help but appreciate the services his vision has brought forth.
And here we are looking out Dixon Entrance towards the Gulf of Alaska. Rarely, is it this calm out here.
Bye Bye Alaska. We are crossing into Canada at this point, just south of Tree Point.The Green Island Lighthouse between Holliday Passage (this side) and Oriflame Passage (the other side).
And here we are looking out Dixon Entrance towards the Gulf of Alaska. Rarely, is it this calm out here.
Bye Bye Alaska. We are crossing into Canada at this point, just south of Tree Point.The Green Island Lighthouse between Holliday Passage (this side) and Oriflame Passage (the other side).
I called into the CBSA (Canadian Customs & Border Protection) using their Nexus reporting number. They cleared us in without a problem. CBSA in our experience, has always been so friendly, nice, and knowledgeable. I give them high marks.
This is a channel range marker. The idea is to line them up so one is directly on top of the other. In case it isn't obvious from the photo, the top marker is well behind the lower one.
These are common where the channel is not otherwise obvious, like here in Venn Passage, just west of Prince Rupert.
This is the ferry from Digby Island (where the Prince Rupert International Airport is located). Bill & Nicki should land here tomorrow and ride this ferry over to Prince Rupert where we will meet them.
We are exiting Venn Passage and heading into the bay. That is Prince Rupert across the bay.
Baked Salmon for Karen and Indian Butter Chicken for me. And, of course, a Barolo (2019 Serralunga de Alba Barolo). Yes! This is more evidence that a meh winemaker in a spectacular year can make a really good wine. The inverse is not always true...
And here it is, with my Admiral in the background. Good wine, happy wife = happy life - right?Odd photo for sure. I washed the boat this afternoon. I went over all the topsides (everything but the outside hull).
And here it is, with my Admiral in the background. Good wine, happy wife = happy life - right?Odd photo for sure. I washed the boat this afternoon. I went over all the topsides (everything but the outside hull).
On my teak decks, I have a few spots that seem to stay wet longer than others. I am concerned that the seams may be pulling off the teak and allowing water to penetrate. Water that penetrates the deck (or anything) produces rot and we most assuredly don't want that.
Hmmm.
WARNING - I'm going to get political... I am encouraged by a particular ballot proposition in Montana to disallow corporations (artificial persons) from making political donations. Get corporate money out of our politics and return voting to people, not dollars. This is a great initiative and from what I read, I hope it garners sufficient support to pass. In case you want to learn more.
And here is Robert Reich's video on this: Could This Actually End Citizens United?
On that note, good night, my friends!





I spent a few nights in Serralunga d’Alba in a wonderful BnB - a renovated 100-yr-old schoolhouse. Magical place! I didn’t know that lovely little town was producing enough of anything to sell in the US. 🤔… I’ll need to go hunting for their importer and distributors. -CM
ReplyDelete