Serenity in the Broughtons...

Yesterday was a day for provisioning and chores.   Neither of which are particularly photogenic, so we will make do with a shot of the world's largest burl.   Yup, we got to see it in person.   Aren't you insanely jealous???   We spied this on our walk to the local IGA grocery store.  To give credit where credit is due, Arleigh pointed us towards this particular attraction a few years ago.   It was in the park next to their ballpark, but it was relocated to here this year.   I mean, if Kansas can have the world's largest ball of twine, why can't Port McNeill bask in its own glory with the burl?

OK, this is exciting stuff...   Our washer started spitting F3 errors.  So, we took the photo, uploaded it to google gemini and asked what to do about it.  Remove the bottom panel, detach the drain hose and unclog.  

I mean, does chore day get any more exciting than this???
On the way to dinner, Karen took this shot of blue sky, Oh, and Blue Redd too.

From our lovely pizza dinner at Devil's Bath Brewing in Port McNeill.   We had the PeponiMush Pizza with a Caprese Salad and their New England IPA (too sweet for my preferences).  Karen went with the locally sourced water.   Good choice.

Really good pizza, meh IPA.  Oh well, at least I didn't have to do dishes!

This morning at 0648 (6:48am) we headed out.  This photo is of rounding Pulteney Point and heading out into Queen Charlotte Sound.   We crossed the roughly 13 miles to get to Wells Passage and eventually to Turnbull Cove in the Broughton Islands.   We had nothing but ripples, no swell, no waves, no wind.  Just as we like it!

For some reason, this reminds me of one of my favorite later-college-era bands, A Flock of Seagulls...   Great English band.
Somewhere in this photo is a humpback whale; I kid you not.  He was hunting/fishing/dining amongst the various islets of Ommany.  He would poke up, breath and disappear again.   Very difficult to get a shot.   Oh well, we make do...

A floating log full of seagulls (not an English band).  We call these "aircraft carriers" for all the crew they carry.

Seriously turbulent water with whirlpools, overfalls, and eddies in the narrow channels of Grappler Sound.   We hit 10 knots, which meant a 4-knot current does all of this.   I wonder what happens on a big tidal change when this hits 12 knots of current?   It must look like white-water rafting then.

It is for this reason that we try to navigate and travel near slack water (near high or low tide).

Turnbull Cove in the semi-sunshine.

FYI, it is reported to be blowing 18-20knots just outside in Queen Charlotte Sound.   But in here - absolutely nothing.   Not even a breath of air.

And Turnbull Cove in the semi-rain.  Still beautiful, still secluded, and still all alone!   How absolutely serene.   Ahhh.


A knife wielding Karen making dinner.   Some sort of fried chicken, jalapeno cheesy rice, green beans, and salad.   My mouth is watering already.

Note to self - don't piss her off when she's got the knife...

BTW, I keep our knives extremely sharp; dull knives are dangerous.  So, if there are super clean cuts all over my body, you will know I must have failed in my mission to not irritate her.  And I guess that sharp knives are dangerous too...

Darn.





And the result.  Outstanding!  It paired well with the Arbelour Cask Strength Scotch too.
He who cooks, does not clean - at least in our family.  So, the role of Dish Faery (or Fairy for you modernists) will be played by me (as usual).   Scrub, scrub, scrub.

It was well worth it!
Not really any sunset tonight with the overcast and rain.  So, it just gets progressively darker out.

Tomorrow, I think we are off to McIntosh Cove in Simoom Sound, about 24 miles to the southeast.  We've not been there yet, so this will be a new adventure.

Good Night, My Friends.


Comments

  1. Dinner sounded delish, Karen! 😋 The comments about Flock of Seagulls made me wonder about music aboard Redd Blue. Being the audiophile I know you are, Peter, I assume there is a lovely sound system aboard. So what are you listening to with dinner? When under way? And does the selection (or volume!) change if there are others moored nearby? If you’re docked? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the boat audio system, I just repurposed my old home Marantz AV receiver and added a Roku Ultra to the boat. I figured I'd keep it really simple. Nothing on a boat lends itself to audiophilia so I just go for decent sounding tunes.

    We tend to listen a pretty low volumes maybe 55dB at the highest. No need to ever turn it down.

    Karen & I like smooth Jazz and Classic Rock, whatever style you call older Seal & Sade, and I like Progressive Rock. Ohh, we also listen to Baroque guitar fairly regularly in the mornings.

    It is a different story at home, where I've got my full audio rig, but that's 3000 miles away and most of it is in the closet until we get to move into our remodeled home in October.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...