Back in the Crowds

One of the four marinas in Ladysmith as viewed from Manana Marina.  We departed this morning at 0727 (7:27 am).   We are late enough now, that we don't get good "navigable" daylight until about 0700.   The good news is no early mornings anymore.   The bad news is that we are almost back to Anacortes where we will haul Blue Redd and start the winter maintenance routine at PMC.

Yet another Ladysmith Marina.

And logging operations, at least two of them, in Ladysmith proper.

A sea lion with a fish.   He was flopping it around and trying to swallow it while the seagulls are trying to pester him to the point where he abandons his catch.   Spoiler Alert - the sea lion managed to swallow the fish.

We saw this big container ship moored out in the channel as we exited Ladysmith.

Can someone decipher this for me?  So, are they saying that naked people can't run around lighting cigarettes or other inhalables?

Not sure I'd want to crew on a ship where that had to be stated...

Ross, what does this mean???
Curious Readers have asked how noisy our boat is underway.  Great question.   At 1100 RPM, in the engine room it is 101.6dB.   That is about as loud as a sport arena or a subway.   Way too loud to not wear some sort of hearing protection.  I have big earmuff-type protection just for that reason which I use every time I go in the engine room underway.
But up in the pilothouse, where I drive most of the time, the noise is only 73dB, that is about the volume of a normal conversation.   Not really a problem at all.

While I didn't record it, up on the flybridge, if it isn't windy, the volume drops to about 56dB, what you would expect in a quiet home.
This is Brentwood Bay, just north of Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island.   Is there such a thing as Boat Hoarders?   

We aren't in Alaska anymore.   The anchorages down here are crowded.   We are so used to having the bays all to ourselves.  I miss Alaska already!

Butchart Gardens has placed purple martin houses on the old pier posts in Tod Inlet.   We really enjoy the matins as they dart around and eat bugs!   Go martins!!!
Some martin houses are more creative than others...   I wonder what their HOA says about all of these places?
Obviously, we went for a kayak journey around Tod Inlet and Butchart Cove this afternoon.   Note the martin houses in the background.
And the jellyfish in the foreground!   These are big moon jellies.
Yup, I was there too.   Note the fall colors in the background.   It is, unfortunately, that time of year already.   It seems about 2 weeks early to me.
Blue Redd at anchor.

There are about 20 boats in this little inlet.   Blue Redd is in the middle of the photo.   And Karen is photobombing in the middle of the photo.

At the Butchart Cove dock.   We did not go ashore or even stop.   Way too crowded for us.

A seal was checking me out.  I think I looked like a large tasty morsel, kayak and all.

I survived.   Back aboard Blue Redd, I am contemplating building cabinetry for the house...
Karen made her Italian sausage, chicken & cheese tortellini in a garlic pomodoro sauce.   I had to add a 2020 Livio Sassetti Pertimali Brunello.
Even though I was in the lucky seat, she beat me, but just barely.   Maybe tomorrow, we will have to try strip cribbage?


Late twilight from Tod Inlet...

Tomorrow, we battle a potentially windy day in the Strait of Juan de Fuca as we make our way to Victoria at the southern end of Vancouver Island.

We depart at 0800 (8:00am).   So, off to bed now.


Good Night, My Friends.

Comments

  1. Non-naked lights may mean lamps must be shrouded to protect them from flammable gasses. The ship may be a tanker of some kind, or carry flammable liquids or gasses. I would guess that the deck is a "hazardous location". John E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are likely correct, but the visual isn’t as funny…

      Delete
  2. New TV show - boat hoarders - Lol. Love the seal picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound really carries over water. can you hear conversations or music from the other boats when there are that many of you anchored that close together? -CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we can hear conversations, but I can’t make out what they are saying no matter how hard I try! 🤣. Music always carries across the water. We hear a lot of “boat folk” music, which isn’t unpleasant, but it’s not my favorite. We don’t have outdoor speakers on Blue Redd as I try to not share my music with other boaters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...