Winding Down as we are back in Anacortes

Hauling up the anchor this morning.   My right foot is operating the switch that controls the windlass to raise the anchor.   The switch on the other side of the Samson Post runs the windlass in the other direction putting out more chain (lowering the anchor).   I'm also hosing the chain down with fresh water to keep the salt, mud, and icky stuff from getting into the anchor locker and stinking up the boat.  My other foot and hand are trying to keep me upright and aboard the boat!

Looking back into Hunter Bay as we departed.   Our final anchorage of our voyage.
Looking forward and out through Lopez Pass, across Rosario Strait, and into Anacortes, only 10 miles away.

My backsides as I take a photo of Lopez Pass.  Karen wants you all to know that I make a better wall than a window.   I am blocking Karen’s view making her driving more challenging.
Looking out Lopez Pass again, you can see the Anacortes-Friday Harbor ferry off in the distance.

Admiral Karen at the helm this morning and her trusty sidekick.
In Guemes Channel looking at the Anacortes commercial waterfront.  Busy with lots of boats and cranes as they repair ships.
An unhappy face as I put 683 gallons of diesel in my boat.  I can't complain about the quantity of diesel we used as we had a wonderful cruise, but I do miss last year's prices!
We docked Blue Redd at Cap Sante's temporary moorage while we ran a few errands, like picking up our rental car and grabbing a Mexican lunch at Real Tequila.

Shortly after this, we moved Blue Redd to PMC's dock.   We will haul Blue Redd for the winter season at PMC on Thursday.

So, we are right back where this adventure started last May.
The view from the back of Blue Redd looking at the refinery.  We think it is beautiful, all lit up and glowing.

Tomorrow, we have winterization chores and some errands to run down in Everett, then lunch with friends and then dinner with more friends.

I'll write-up a recap of our summer 2026 adventures in the next day or so.


Good Night, My Friends.

Comments

  1. Your summer has been a great adventure! Thank you for sharing with us landlubbers, who sail vicariously.

    I’m curious as to why you fill the gas tank when the boat is going to be in storage all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. Diesel, unlike gasoline absorbs water. When relatively small amounts of water are mixed with diesel it creates an environment that promotes bacteria, algae, and whatnot to grow. That’s not good for my diesel engine.

    So, by filling the tanks full, there is very little air volume inside the tank. As the surrounding moist air warms and cools it expands and contracts causing the tanks to “breathe” a bit. That introduces moist air into the tank which condenses when cold and brings water into my tank. By filling the tank full, I’m just reducing the available air space in the tank to minimize the amount of water that can condense into my diesel.

    Did I explain that OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That makes perfect sense. So many details to maintaining a boat! Makes me really appreciate how easy my car is to maintain. Whew! -CM

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selene Rendezvous West, Maintenance, and Cruising Towards Anacortes

Leap'n Leviathans!

Pitter-Patter...